Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I'm writing a paper!

Yes, that's right, I'm writing a paper. A professional paper. (Now say that in a British accent..." A professional paper!")

The main ideas I am thinking about are:
  • performances in social, public spaces
  • developing a community within physical social spaces and virtual social spaces (like this one!) through the engagement in a public performance
I just stumbled across this video of Professor David Gauntlett's inaugural lecture, 'Participation culture, creativity, and social change', from November 12, 2008. It's pretty rockin'.  After watching it I feel like there is some common  language used in his talk and in my head. For instance: MAKING and DOING. How do we put more opportunities to make and to do in the social, public sphere? How can performance do that?

This may be a bit tangential...but there's something there. I'm just not sure what yet.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! More like this. Peeks inside Lily's brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the ideas of making and doing. "Through the act of making you connect with the world." Performances - esp. participatory performances - to get people thinking and doing would be powerful and could lead to creative solutions to cultural problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the peek inside Lily's brain. It's brainy.

    ReplyDelete